Here I am again with another winter warmer. I’ve actually been making some form of pumpkin soup every week in the slow cooker but didn’t have any pumpkin on this particular cold Tuesday morning. So, I simply grabbed what I did have to hand and kind of winged it. As I started peeling the carrots Little Man declared he wanted whatever soup I was making for tea! His wish was my command and he gobbled it down! So, we were all more than pleasantly surprised by this Carrot and Sweet Potato soup that was cooked in the slow cooker.
CARROT & SWEET POTATO SOUP
Prep : 20 minutes
Cook : 6 hours on high
Blitz : 15 minutes
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
5 medium sized carrots
750g sweet potato
2 large brown onions
1l chicken stock*
300ml double cream
Teaspoon Garlic powder
Dash of Nutmeg
Dash of Cinamon
Salt & pepper to taste
* I just used what I had in the cupboard. To make it fully vegetarian use vegetable stock.
WHAT TO DO
- Place the spices, stock and cream into the slow cooker. Give a good stir and turn on high;
- Peel and dice the sweet potaoto and carrots and add to the slow cooker as you go;
- Skin and chop the onion before adding;
- Give another good stir before putting the lid on and leave for around five-six hours until vegetables are completely soft;
- Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a blender. I managed one large batch because my blender allows 2l (or 8 cups). Do it in batches if need be. Remember to cover with a tea towel so that the steam can escape and you avoid getting hot soup all over your kitchen!
- Once all blitzed and relatively smooth it’s ready to eat!
Let me know if you have a go!