I tried the Subway Cookie hack recipe – so you don’t have to! I’m nice like that, you see. Always happy to take one for the team.
I actually tried a variation of this cookie that contained M&Ms when visiting my BFF during our recent trip to Queensland. She had made them with her young daughter and they were so moreish that I asked her to forward me the link (which she did). For this post I ended up getting the same recipe from Kidspot (click the link here) although there are many others gracing the web. So, unfortunately I am unsure who the original inventor/author was. Whoever they are they deserve A LOT of credit!
The mixture makes approximately three dozen, so perfect for the purse strings, not so much for the waist! I’ve tried three different flavour mixes – chocolate, vanilla and butter – which were 75c each, and were the cheapest from my local supermarket. I found sprinkles worked best for mixing as chocolate chips seemed to be harder to contain in the mixture when rolling. But they seemed to rise more than the sprinkle mix creating more of a dome shape. Honestly, these are just my experiences and it could be simply down to the particular kind of mix. I now do them all fairly regularly on rotation for Hubby’s lunches and Little Man’s treats.
SUBWAY COOKIE HACK RECIPE
1 pack of cake/brownie mix
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
Sprinkles or chocolate – whatever you’d like to add
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat oven to 180°c and line a baking tray with paper;
- Empty the cake mix into a bowl and beat in the eggs one at a time;
- Mix in the oil and sprinkles/chocolate;
- Roll into walnut sized balls and place on your prepared baking tray – they do spread;
- Bake for 7-8 minutes. As you know my oven is pretty rubbish so for my first attempt I left them for around 12 minutes but found the bottom burnt. Totally my oven, not the mixture. I now leave for the recommended 7-8 minutes and find they’ve finished nicely on the rack by the time the next batch is out of the oven;
- Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a rack and there you have it, delicious Subway Cookies!